Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Welcome Our New Contributor

Editor's note:  As any regular reader of this blog over the past almost 7 years will know...posts are becoming more and more infrequent here.  In fact, they are rare.  That's a result of multiple things from family to work, but my intentions of posting more always seems to fall off after the season starts.

So, in order to rectify the situation we are bringing on a new writer/contributor.  Don reached out to me a few weeks ago, expressing an interest in writing for the site.  Despite being a Pens fan (rarely an acceptable sin), he loves the Bears and knows hockey so it seems like a good fit.  

By adding another writer it will surely result in much more frequent posts and based on the ideas we have discussed so far, very interesting posts as well.  Excited to see what he brings to the blog!

I will give Don a chance now to share a bit more about himself:



Hey, everyone. As mentioned, my name is Don and I’m glad to be onboard as a new writer/commentator for the site. I have to say that I’m very excited to bring a lot of unique content to the site and plan on rolling it out over the course of the 2014-15 season. So thanks to the Hershey Bears Hockey Blog for giving me this opportunity. A bit of background info: I’m originally from the western part of the state and I admit that I’m a HUGE Pens fan. I’m a product of those early 90’s Cup years so I’ve seen a lot of hockey and try to keep a certain amount of perspective for how the game has changed over the years. So while the majority of my postings will concern the Bears, I’ll put out some opinions on the state of the game in general as well.

I’ve lived in the mid-state area for quite a few years and have been a Bears fan since I arrived. Upon attending my first Bears game, I was instantly hooked on AHL hockey. I feel very fortunate to have witnessed many of the best Bear's hockey moments from the past 5-10 years. That being said, I’m sure there are a lot of you out there that know more than me regarding Bears history. So by all means, educate.

So where do things go from here? Well, even with the subdued ending to the Bears’ season by not being able to capitalize on the last games against Norfolk and thus missing the playoffs, I think a lot of positivity can be gathered about the future expectations of the team. In many ways, this can be seen as a new era for the Bears. With a new GM and coach for the Capitals, what will this mean for the identity and style of play for the Bears? Will we still see the same attention given to signing quality AHL veterans and prospects to ensure that the Bears are annual winners? Since Barry Trotz is typically known for employing a more defensive system, will that trickle down to Hershey? Hopefully a new coach is hired soon and we get a better idea of what to expect. But overall, there could be some fundamental change coming. And maybe that’s a good thing. The offensive heavy teams we have grown accustomed to may be a thing of past. Instead, the team could end up being more well rounded with a defense first mentality. No matter what happens, let's just hope that as the free agency period begins plenty of quality players are acquired. Because depending on what, if any, changes the Caps make, this could be another call-up heavy season for the Bears.

Up next, free agency. Stay tuned...

No comments: