THEY WIN THEM BOTH!!!
Two huge victories that put Hershey back into first place in the division with only 13 games to go.
I already discussed the Saturday night game here so I will focus on last night's big win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
I honestly didn't think this game was as close as the score for most of the night but to be honest I wasn't watching super intently. I had some other (prior) engagements distracting me so I watched what I could.
If you look at the stats it looks as though Bridgeport dominated as they outshot the Bears 38-26. But from what I saw many of those shots were average at best and the Bears controlled the play.
Daren Machesney was in goal last night after Simeon Varlamov was recalled by Washington and he played great making 36 saves and earning a big win for the Bears.
The defense has been much better this weekend and Tyler Sloan returned to the lineup last night and played a very good solid game himself. Hopefully this unit can continue with the progress they showed this weekend and play this good the rest of the season and in the playoffs.
This weekend was very important for the Bears as a measure of where they are in the East division. They came in after a bad loss to Springfield Wednesday and had been struggling mightily in recent weeks. But they rose to challenge and knocked off the teams that have been chasing them all season and retook first place in the division.
Good game and Great Weekend Bears!! Take the momentum and get three wins in New England this weekend.
My Three Stars of the Game:
- Daren Machesney - has had some rough games but 36 saves on 38 shots against the (former) division leaders is impressive
- Mathieu Perrault - he has been one of the most consistent hustlers and performers of the past couple weeks and the assist on Giroux's goal was GREAT
- Jon Sim - he had a goal and an assist for the Sound Tigers and is probably the most dangerous player on the team
**I am not going to grade the performance today as I didn't see enough specifics to really get an accurate portrayal.
Scoreboard watching this week:
- Wilkes Barre/Scranton @ Albany - Tonight 7:00
- Philly @ Wilkes Barre/Scranton - Wednesday 7:05
- Worcester @ Bridgeport - Friday 7:00
- Wilkes Barre/Scranton @ Philly - Friday 7:00
News and notes:
- In case you didn't hear Michal Neuvirth is back in Hershey but Varly and Brian Pothier are up in Washington.
- With Pothier playing that means there is no risk of Alzner getting called up until the postseason (there is no salary cap for postseason) unless an injury occurs.