Alexandre Giroux, Boyd Kane, Zach Miscovic, Karl Alzner, and another from Beagle completed the scoring for the Bears.
Giroux now has 98 points with 4 games remaining. 2 points and Hershey will have its first ever 2 100 point scorers in the same season.
Michael Neuvirth got the start in net and made it through with no further injuries. The reigning playoff MVP had been dealing with injuries for a while now after suffering some in Washington and then again in Hershey a couple weeks ago.
With him healthy it presents an excellent problem to have this time of year...3 number 1 goalies on the roster. Every one of the 3, Bacashihua, Holtby, and Neuvy, have been spectacular this season. If one were to go down there is plenty of confidence in going with the next guy in line.
More than likely the job is Neuvy's to lose though with Holtby 2nd and Cash sitting in the stands most nights. It has to be a tough spot for Cash to be in but who saw Holtby's emergence happening this season? Cash is the most experienced netminder and can surely get the job done if called upon.
How many other teams can say that about their THIRD goalie??
Two other big things last night in Hershey:
- Hershey has clinched the overall regular season championship. They will have home ice advantage for as long as they play in the playoffs. In 06-07 the Bears also won the regular season before running into a hot goaltender against Hamilton and Carey Price in the Calder Cup Finals.
- The AHL announced that the 2011 AHL All Star game will be held in Hershey next January. It is the AHLs 75th anniversary season so they wanted to go somewhere to represent that history and Hershey is that choice. Next year the game will feature the Eastern Conference vs Western Conference for the first time in a while. The past few years has seen PlanetUSA vs Canada which many times pits teammates against each other which really doesn't make any sense.
And now a look around the rest of the Eastern Conference:
- Norfolk had their best chance to get a win last night against Binghamton but they couldn't get it done losing 5-3.
- Fortunately for the Admirals the Bridgeport Sound Tigers also lost at home against Portland. So it remains a 2 point Bridgeport lead for the final playoff spot in the East.
- Norfolk still has a game in hand against Bridgeport but they also play Hershey 3 times in their last 4 games including tonights game in Hershey.